Dienstag, 10. November 2015

Hidden Gems I

I recently had the honor to participate in a guided tour through Karlstadt am Main, Frankonia, Bavaria.
It is one of those small towns I passed bye some hundred times without really visiting any of the cultural sites.
The tour offered insights to real tresures such as a superb fresco from the 15st century in a small church that belonged to one family of the town over many hundred years. One could just walk into this Spitalkirche and enjoy the silence.
Later, hidden in a side chapel of St. Andrews Church in the main square, we stood only centimeters away from original wooden sculptures by Tilman Riemenschneider (no copies!, the real thing).
The highlight of the whole tour for me was in the same church: a typical organ from the region, a so called 'Mainfränkische Orgel', showing 'Die Fratzen des Teufels', the devil's visages, as golden drawings right at the opening of each pipe where the sound would come out! No harder punishment for the devil than to sound out heavenly sounds!

I highly recommend to go and have a look some time. I love these gems which I find off the wellknown routes of art travelling; well it took me a long time to 'find' these one. Thank you Trixi!